Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The earth, my butt, and other round objects

I finally finished listening to The earth, my butt, and other round objects by Carolyn Mackler. I promised you my response, but first a short synopsis.

So, it’s all about this girl named Virginia, or Gin, and her coming to terms with her identity. She lives in NYC, which sounds like a dream, right?, but attends a snotty school and her best friend, and life support, moves to Walla Walla, Washington. What, doesn’t she have other friends or a family? No, she doesn’t have any other friends and Gin’s family is not the most supportive. You see, her mother is a well-known shrink for teens, but she barely talks to her own teenager daughter. She is also obsessed with not only her weight, but with Gin’s, making Gin uncomfortable with her own body. Her father is always on business trips and likes to make comments about other women, causing Gin further discomfort with her own body. And her parents go off nearly every weekend to Connecticut, leaving Gin alone. What, no siblings? No, she has two, but her sister is off in Africa and her brother, who attends Columbia University, turns out not to the ideal man Gin always assumed—he does something to get kicked out of Columbia.

What does Gin do? How can she survive such a life? Well, I’ll tell you that it takes a whole lot of time, effort, and honesty to turn her life from something she and others thought was abhorrent into something she accepts as precious—and it doesn’t include losing weight or being someone other than Gin.
------------------------------------------
Like most stories, I am glad I finished it. I always recommend finishing what you start; it is worth it. The earth, my butt, and other round objects definitely empowers you to not only accept who you are, but to love who you are, regardless of who, what, where, when, and why.

1 comment:

Klarissa said...

Hey Miss Jo..i havent read this book yet but sure its going to be good..my sister says its really good so i think ill get it next time in in the libraryy!